IRRIS, in collaboration with other units, manages all space information at the University. All Departments and Units of the University are responsible for providing accurate data for the spaces they own and/or occupy to IRRIS. Through our web application, Space Updates, IRRIS provides a simple and effective process for departmental space contacts to maintain accurate information about their space. The resulting data are used for indirect cost analysis, facilities planning, and space assignments. The data are also used for state reporting requirements to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB), in other University applications, and as a resource for university leaders and departments.
Space Authorizations and Guidelines
The Space Updates application is the system for departmental space coordinators or reviewers to maintain data for the buildings and rooms they manage, including function and occupant codes. The accuracy of this information is critical for compliance with government and sponsoring agencies and to maximize the use of our facilities.
- If you require access to the Space Updates application, please complete the linked survey.
- If you are a deparmental space coordinator or space reviewer, you must also be designated to receive notifications in the OHS Contact System. Typically, deparrment heads maintain the OHS System for their department. Designation in the OHS System automatically allows access to the Space Updates application.
- A UT EID is required to log on to both of these systems.
Tools For Updating Space
- Space Coding & Intruction Handbook *Search for keywords with Ctrl-F
- Space Instructional Guides (SIGs) by School or Department
- Space FAQ's
- Space Updates System - Overview (Video)
- Space Updates System - Examples of Updating Space Data (Video)
- Space Coding Handbook - Introduction (Video)
- UT Austin Building List
- UT Austin Building Information
- Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
Space Management Executive Sponsors
- Executive Vice President and Provost
- Campus Planning & Facilities Management
- The Location Information Services Team maintains the campus record drawings, updates the official building, floor, and room inventories, and supports archival of construction projects.
- Office of Accounting & Financial Management
- The Federal Costing Team negotiates Facilities and Administrative (FNA) rates with the federal government to reimburse the University for expenses already incurred in support of research. Space is a critical driver in the calculation the University's FNA rate charged to sponsored awards.